Wednesday, May 1, 2013

degrees of friendship.

The topic of friendship has still been weighing pretty heavily on my mind.  I was just thinking about the term "best friend".

I hate it.

It's almost protective and makes friendship competitive sometimes, in the mind of some people.  Tonight, I went to dinner because it was one of my best friend's birthday's.  Her other friend who I had never met before seemed to be clearly marking her territory.  My friend was her best friend.  But, can she be my best friend too?

I have a handful of best friends, who are not at all the same as one another which is what makes them my "best friends".  I know that they too have other best friends to a "degree" and I don't feel jealous of them because I know those other friends fill in the holes that my personality cannot.

I love having so many best friends (just wish they lived closer *cough*).  It's so strange to me that none of them really run in the same circle of friends, or know each other at all (but they will come wedding time)!  And just because I love them so much, I now present to you... the BFF's.

My "Lover" and best of bests: Ashley





While all of my best friends are my best friend... Ashley is my "sister from another mister" or whatever you want to call it.  She was 15, I was 16... and we met at lunch one day through my other best friend.  We forged a friendship through our adventures on Dance Team and never looked back!  I remember the first time we hung out was for a car wash fundraiser and Ashley was waving her sign around (like a crazy lady) in the middle of the road.  I knew right then that she was nothing like me, but every bit someone I wanted as a best friend.  And now, she's my MoH and I couldn't be happier!

My Diary and Confidant: Jaci


Jaci- Lower Right

She's seen me through nerdy glasses, blonde hair, electric blue eye shadow and my Lizzie McGuire days (you know- floral capris and crimped pieces of hair).  She literally knows every single last deep dark secret of mine.  I've known her since we were in middle school and we bonded over dance team and theater class as awkward 13 year old girls.  I have to admit that I used to get jealous of Jaci's other best friend all the time in High School.  But, then I realized that we were a different kind of best friends, which was a great thing!  The two of us could probably write a book about our outrageous memories...

My "Yin": Ariella


The "Yin" to my "Yang", Ariella and I first met right before our trip to S. Korea two years ago.  We balance each other out perfectly.  If I am freaking out over something, she will take my side or bring me to my senses, always.  We love the same things (except for movies) and can do just about anything together and be as happy as two peas in a pod!  I sometimes wish we had met earlier in life, but everything happens for a reason.

My Forever Friend: April


I've known her since we were 10... a good, solid almost 16 year friendship is what we have.  April moved away when we were about 13, but before then we were inseparable on the weekends (forced to go to different schools during the week really sucked).  I was heartbroken when she moved away, and then half way around the world as adult, then back again but still too far for my liking!  But, handwritten letters and emails kept our friendship alive, beyond the "normal" means of contact via social media.  From about the age of 14 to present day, we have written to each other at the very least once a month.  Our friendship exists because we put forth the effort to keep in touch and love one another as family.  I don't know what I would do without her, because she knows a part of me that nobody else ever can and vice versa.


Do you have more than one best friend?  What makes someone a best friend to another person?

GFC Lovin




0 comments:

hi there!

hi there!
i'm angelica. a twenty something, newly engaged, lover of literature and coffee.
   
Powered by Blogger.

grab a button, share the love.

ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Followers

Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin